ancestral chart father mother index home





vital records sources
go to Sarah Smith's page


Amos lived in Scituate before buying a house in what is now North Providence, owned previously by Gen. Esek Hopkins, a cousin. The house, with later additions, is still standing on Admiral Street. Amos or Amos, Jr., signed the petition asking for a new township to be created from Providence, which became North Providence, on 25 February 1765. The town was first called Wenscutt. The petition was granted on 13 June. Amos was a surveyor of highways in 1754.(1)

children of Amos and Sarah (Smith) Hopkins:

Amos
Jeremiah
Uriah





vital records sources: "Vital Records of Rhode Island, 1636-1850," James N. Arnold (Providence:1892), vol. 2, part 1, p. 171.

1. “Rhode Island Freemen, 1747-1755” in A Census of Registered Voters, comp. by Bruce C. McGunnigle (1977).

all text and photographs © 1998-2015 by Doug Sinclair unless where otherwise noted