ancestral chart father mother index home

vital records sources
go to Eveline Amelia Hoyt's page

Charles may have been the third generation of Ellingwoods born in his great grandfather's house on Water (now Cabot) Steet near the Beverly ferry and grew up in the house at the corner of Federal and Cabot Streets. According to notes made by Virginia Carpenter, Charles attended the "Groton School." The well-known school of that name in Groton, MA, wasn't created until the 1880's, long after Charles' school days. He and his brothers, at least, may very well have gone to a private school. He was living on Platt St. in New York, according to the 1860 city directory, but by early 1862 he was at 129 West 22nd Street.1 During the Civil War, Charles was supposedly commissioned as an ensign in Company D of the First Regiment of New York State Volunteers "National Guard" on 2 November 1861. The office was originally held by John C. Horton.2 The Adjutant General's report of promotions printed in the New York Times and elsewhere says he was commissioned on 10 November, with Horton having been promoted to a lieutenantcy on 10 September. Eventually Charles became a second-lieutenant. He resigned on 3 February 1862 although he had signed-on for two years. His official service records include a letter of resignation, citing pressing business needs, but the nature of his business goes unmentioned. During his service, the regiment was stationed at Camp Butler, Newport News, Virginia. Charles made a pen-and-ink drawing of a camp scene including himself and other men on horse from various companies in the regiment. It's a humorous picture that spoofs his friend and fellow lieutenant William Wallace, shown bouncing out of his saddle and getting a dubious look from his horse.

Charles was also in the 7th Regiment of the New York State National Guard, Co. F (also known as the 6th Co.).3The number 7 is on his cap in the photograph of him with William Wallace. No muster date has been found. The list is of men of the 7th Regiment who also served in the US Army, with their rank, but at what time? Charles is listed as a lieutenant, but this may refer to his rank at the time of his discharge. At least part of his regiment was made part of the 1st Regiment of New York Infantry of the US Army to serve in the Civil War. Others who served with him in the 1st were already in the 7th, and are on muster rolls of those who marched to defend Washington earlier in 1861. Charles wasn't on those lists. A sewing kit brought to Virginia was made for Charles supposedly by his fiance Eveline. It was about four years before they married, but Charles was living at the same address as the Hoyts as early as January 1862. Were they engaged for that long?
      Little else is known about Charles and his work occupation remains a mystery. Evidence suggests he was likely a clerk or bookkeeper in a high position at a Manhattan firm. He was a member of the Waverley Boat Club, and when he served as treasurer in 1862 and 1863, his future uncle-in-law Benjamin F. Brady and future brother-in-law Eugene Heath were fellow officers. There is more to be said about the Waverley and the activities of its members, which will be added here. Internal Revenue Service records place him at the same address as the Hoyts in January of 1862. His meeting the Hoyts there may have led to his meeting Brady and Heath, or his Waverley connection led to his moving to the Hoyt house. He moved with the Hoyts to another house on 22nd Street after Eveline's father died, but years before he married Eveline. This was either a very long courtship or they didn't become a "couple" right away despite proximity, but the removal of all from one house to another is interesting.
      Charles and Eveline married at Anthon Memorial Chapel (Episcopal) in Manhattan by the Rev. Mr. Thomas Jagger. Charles hasn't been found as an adult in censuses. He was mistakenly left out of the household list in the 1870 census, when the family was still living with Eveline's mother. They all moved to Valley Road, Upper Montclair, New Jersey, before 1876. Where they lived on that street hasn't been found, and they apparently rented the property. According to other family notes, Charles commuted to work in New York on the Erie Railroad. Both a death record at Evergreens Cemetery in Brooklyn/Queens, where Charles is buried, and the New Jersey Department of Health death register say that he died of "softening of the brain." This description is too vague to point to a cause of death in modern terms, but his newspaper death notice says he had a short illness. If he had a stroke, the cause of death would more likely have been apoplexy. Encephalitis is another possibility with its symptoms and it's short duration, but this would also likely have been named as such. He was only 38 years old. His mother-in-law was buried within a day of Charles, but Charles had died the previous August. The reason for the delay is unknown, nor is where his body was stored in the meantime. After they died, Eveline and "Charlie" (Charles Hoyt Ellingwood) moved to St. Felix Street, Brooklyn, to live with Eveline's aunts.

ELLINGWOOD - At Montclair, N. J. on Saturday, Aug. 5, after a short illness, CHARLES HENRY ELLINGWOOD, in his 39th year.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend his funeral at his late residence at 2 P. M. on Monday, without further notice. Carriages will meet 12 o'clock train Midland Road at Walnut Street Depot.

children of Charles Henry Ellingwood and Eveline Amelia Hoyt:

i. Charles Hoyt, b. 7 July 1867

all text and photographs © 1998-2019 by Doug Sinclair unless where otherwise noted